A movie with great atmosphere can make you feel something without the aid of a plot. It will engulf you into its universe and make you feel that you are one of the actual characters or surreally in a dream. Some of my favourite examples of the best atmospheric films are as follows;
1. The Road, which sets up a depressing mood by sketching a post- apocalyptic world, making you feel danger lurks in every corner.
2. Legends of the Fall, set in the early 1900’s in the wilderness of Montana. A film of betrayal, history, love, war and family.
3. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. This is an old western with great cinematography, direction and acting. It is a film with a haunting ambience that transports you back to the old west.
4. Seven. Another Brad Pitt movie that draws you in and engulfs you into the hunt for a serial killer who uses the seven deadly sins as his motives.
5. The Martian. Another classic atmospheric film directed by Ridley Scott. You feel you are stranded on Mars yourself; a beautiful and lonely, almost haunting atmosphere prevails. It is a film that grips you with its intensity. A great movie is one that stays with you forever and one you will never forget. A prime example is Jaws; as laughable as it is now, you still hear that music, daah dun, daah dun, daah dun, dun dun, dun dun, dun dun when you are swimming in the ocean and you find yourself terrified by every ripple in the water. An unforgettable movie will have first class directing, well developed, likeable and relatable characters, a great plot and awesome music. There are many good movies but the great ones will pull you in and get you emotionally involved in the fate of the characters. They provide us with quotes we will use for years to come. Entertainment and pleasure is a requisite for our normal lives and watching and enjoying films is a brilliant escape from day to day life.
“I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living, or get busy dying.” The Shawshank Redemption.